AADR Anne D. Haffajee Fellowship
The application deadline has ended.
The Anne D. Haffajee Fellowship was created in recognition of Dr. Haffajee’s many contributions to clinical research in Periodontology and Oral Biology and her prominence as a female leader and role model in the field. The immediate goal of this fellowship is to support women researchers at the early stages of their scientific careers.
The long term objective of this fellowship is to increase the representation of women at the higher ranks in science and academia in the field of Oral Biology.
This fellowship is designed to support the academic and scientific development of female researchers towards an independent research career. Recipients will receive up to $10,000 that must be put towards their post-doctoral research, establishment of their laboratories, the completion of a research project or preparing research for publication or grant submission. The awards may be used for protected time from clinical teaching or administrative responsibilities to pursue such work. Funds awarded could also be used for additional laboratory assistance. As part of the terms of the fellowship, the award recipient must submit a report within 12 months of receipt of the award which describes the results of the progress achieved as a result of the fellowship.
The AADR Anne Haffajee Fellowship is open to:
- women members of AADR,
- who are within 10 years of their last professional degree,
- have demonstrated a commitment to a research career in Oral Biology as well as academic promise, which will be evaluated based on the candidate’s CV, project and the support demonstrated in the supervisor/department head letter,
- hold a DDS/DMD and/or Ph.D., or equivalent advanced degree, and
- hold an appointment at the post-doctoral, instructor, assistant professor level or equivalent at an accredited dental school or academic research center in the United States.
Note: Emphasis will be placed in applicants in the fields of Periodontology, Microbiology and Clinical Research, but candidates pursuing careers in other areas of the Oral and Dental Craniofacial Research spectrum are encouraged to apply.
The application package includes (as one PDF document):
- a letter of support from the applicant’s research supervisor and department chair
- an outline of the candidate’s project (not more than 4 pages), 11 pt. font, including a career development plan and a description of how the fellowship will affect future research to be conducted by the applicant and how it will foster her career development
- a project description (not to exceed two pages), excluding references and should include your hypothesis, methodology, plans for publications/presentations and realistic timeline for the project.
- a personal statement, indicating why the candidate should be considered for the fellowship
- the candidate’s CV or biosketch (not more than five pages)
- budget and budget justification demonstrating how $10,000 will be spent in travel and other support related to training and/or career development
Applicants will be evaluated by the AADR Fellowships Committee on the basis of scholarly excellence; quality and originality of their projects; active commitment toward a career in Oral Biology; and personal needs related to challenges and/or obstacles in pursuit of an academic career.
One Fellowship in the amount of $10,000 will be made. This award is intended to provide travel and other support related to training and career development during the fellowship period. This award will be made to the institution (if applicable) and no indirect costs (F&A) shall be allowed.
Selection of the successful candidate will be made by the Fellowships Committee of the AADR. The Committee's decision will be made in December, 2016, and the recipient will be notified thereafter. The fellowship recipient will be formally announced at the IADR/AADR/CADR General Session & Exhibition, San Francisco, Calif., USA, March 22-25, 2017.
The Award is supported by generous donations from individuals and companies which created the endowment.
Applications must be submitted to Sheri S. Herren to email@example.com as one adobe PDF document, by October 17, 2016.
Sheri S. Herren
Strategic Programs Manager